For anti-slavery day 2020, City Hearts are raising awareness of modern slavery in the UK, with our closerthanyouthink campaign. Modern slavery is a crime being committed across the UK. It can take many forms including forced labour, sexual exploitation and domestic servitude. We want you to know just how close modern slavery really is, and how we can take action together.
MODERN SLAVERY IN THE UK: FACTS & FIGURES
- There were 5,144 modern slavery offences recorded by the police in England and Wales in the year ending March 2019, an increase of 51% from the previous year.
- The number of potential victims referred through the UK National Referral Mechanism (NRM) increased by 36% to 6,985 in the year ending December 2018.
- Almost a quarter (23%) of the 6,985 potential victims referred through the NRM in the year ending December 2018 were UK nationals.
- For those exploited as children, the most common country of origin was the UK (45%).
- In 2018, the UK remained the most common country of origin overall, followed by Albania and Vietnam.
Data obtained from the Office of National Statistics and the Modern Slavery Report 2019.
HOW TO SPOT THE SIGNS
Here’s a list of potential indicators someone is trapped in modern slavery, you can look out for these in your day to day lives.
- The individual may look unkempt or malnourished, with few or no belongings
- They may have untreated injuries
- Someone else may be paying for their travel
- They may appear uneasy or anxious
- Have no personal identification
- Be unsure of their own address
- They may be reluctant to interact with others/talk to the authorities
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
Now is the time to join the fight for freedom. Here’s how you can help.
- Share our posts on your social media channels to raise awareness to others, using the hashtag #closerthanyouthink
- Visit our website for information on fundraising and donating
- Speak to your friends, family and colleagues. Start a conversation about modern slavery and how they too can help
OUR SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES
We support thousands of modern slavery survivors through our safehousing and long-term support services. We pledge to continue fighting to end modern slavery, using our platforms to raise awareness and our services to help survivors find the freedom and independance they deserve.